ARCE

The colonnade hall and its portal (closed by Romans) towards shrine hall

Description:
The colonnade hall and its portal (closed by Romans) towards shrine hall
Physical Description:
2 color photographs and Color 35mm slide
Date Created:
February-March 2009
Collection:
Luxor Roman Wall Paintings
Series:
Post-conservation
Location:
Luxor, Egypt
Time Period:
Tetrarchy (284-313 AD) and New Kingdom Egypt (1548-1086)
Topic:
Temple of Luxor (Luxor, Egypt)
Genre:
Color photographs and relief (sculpture techniques)
Local ID:
arce_lrwp_vescovo_S-103_019.tif
Project History:
Amenhotep III was responsible for constructing the greater part of the present Luxor Temple around 1400 BCE. Under Diocletian, Emperor of Rome, 245-313, the first Tetrarchy transformed the temple site, including one of the temple’s offering halls into what is now known as the imperial cult chamber. In the early 2000s, ARCE conducted several site visits to Luxor to extensively document the grounds and undertake conversation efforts for the Roman frescoes present in that chamber.